Do Rich Parents Matter Round Up?
|January 28, 2011||Posted by Roshawn Watson under Uncategorized|
By: Roshawn Watson
- The home environment of 10 months olds was the key determinant of mental ability across every socioeconomic level.
- However, at 2 years, wealth made a big difference. For 80% of the children from lower SES, their mental ability was still determined by the parents. Genetics had negligible effects.
- For wealthy 2-year olds, the outcome was starkly different. Genetics accounted for nearly 50% of all differences in mental ability. This determination was made because identical twins performed much more similarly than fraternal twins. Home environment was much less important (“a distant second”).
Thought Question: What do you think of this research and what kinds of things do you do (or your parents) to give children the edge?
Uncommon Money News and Round Up
In preparing to write my posts, I often come across noteworthy and sometimes bizarre financial and business news. Below are links to some of these sites. Enjoy!
To my readers: I am so honored by your support. Together, we are telling thousands of the importance of financial literacy. I absolutely could not do it without you: you are vital! Thank you sincerely.
Personal Finance (Yakezie and other PF bloggers)
Which Financial Author Should You Follow? at Money Reasons – Don writes about the distinctions between popular personal finance authors: Dave Ramsey, Robert Kiyosaki, and David Bach.
How To Calculate A Time Weighted Return? at DIY Investor – Robert challenges DIY investors to monitor their portfolio performances more closely by using this calculation.
Spend $10 Cash or Use $20 Store Credit at Retire By 40 – Talk about an interesting dilemma, RB40 poses a dilemma that we’ve all faced. What I found even more interesting than the question was that every came up with an identical answer!
Up From The Projects at The Biz Of Life – I’m not much for book reviews, but the Grouch makes an easy case for reading Walter Williams’s autobiography. This is the aggregate wisdom this trailblazer has accumulated over a lifetime.
Centavos Dividend Stocks at 101 Centavos -Andrew gives a peak inside of his dividend-generating holdings.
10 Home Renovation Tips Learned From Experience at Everyday Tips and Thoughts – Kris explores 10 ways to get the most out of a home renovation.
100 Words on Credit Cards at Len Penzo – Len challenges the “credit cards are evil” camp.
Round ups that linked to posts from this site
- Kris at Everyday Tips and Thoughts – Weekend Round Up – 3 Teens Editions
- Kevin at Invest It Wisely – Weekend Reading: Moving Edition
- Don at Money Reasons – MR Cache: Getting Traction
- Andrew at 101 Centavos – Random Comments and Round Up links
- Len at Len Penzo – Black Coffee Round Up
- Retire By 40 – Blogging Fun and Napping
- Funny About Money – Moments of Fame
- Maximizing Money – 58 Ways To Save or Make Extra Money
Non-Round Up Mentions
- Khaleef at KNS Financial – Best Personal Finance Blogs in 2010 and Ones to Watch in 2011
- Miranda at Moolanomy – 11 Lesser Known Finance Blogs to Read in 2011
Copyright 2012, Roshawn Watson, Pharm.D., Ph.D. All Rights Reserved.