Dirty Diaper Round Up with Uncommon Money News
|September 14, 2010||Posted by Roshawn Watson under Uncategorized|
By: Roshawn Watson
The post entitled: Diapers, Diapers, Diapers (see below) got me thinking about running an economically productive household. Activities that are productive for one house can negatively impact the wealth of another. Someone may go out of his way to save a few bucks (good defense) whereas someone else will allocate most of her time to earning income (good offense) while avoiding waste . Who do you think is worth more? There is no clear answer.
Also, sometimes looks can be deceiving. It may appear frugal to do your own plumbing to save $150, but you are trading in your time, may not do as good a job, and may buy inferior parts. Thus, being “first-cost” sensitive may not be as productive overall as being “life-cycle-cost” sensitive. Remember, frugality is about obtaining maximum output while being parsimonious with your resources (not just dollars). There is a reason why the majority of millionaires are not do-it yourselfers. It may be much more economically productive to focus on playing good offense (earning money through your career).
None of this really answers the question of whether to use disposable or reusable diapers though. I’ll let you be the judge after reading Carol’s article!
Thought Question: What is your least financially productive activity?
Now, it’s time to do the weekly Uncommon Money News and Yakezie Round Up.
Uncommon Money News and Yakezie Round Up
In preparing to write my posts, I often come across noteworthy and sometimes bizarre financial and business news. Below are links to some of these sites. Enjoy!
To my readers: I am so honored by your support. Thank you for reading, subscribing, and for voting for articles from this site on social bookmarketing sites such as stumbleupon, reddit, delicious, digg, propeller, twitter, and yahoo buzz. Together, we are telling thousands of the importance of financial literacy. I absolutely could not do it without you. You are vital to this site, and I appreciate your! Thank you sincerely
Is it Worth it to Have an Emergency Fund Or Should I Pay Off My Mortgage? at Invest it Wisely – Kevin’s unintentionally controversial post that caused me to create so much new content in the comments that I decided to use that topic for Friday’s post (When Paying Down Your Mortgage is a Bad Idea?)
529 Plan at Joe Taxpayer – If you have kids, you want to consider a 529 plan for investing in their education (especially if you earn a lot). Joe teaches some essentials about this plan.
Simplify Your Finances One Tackle at a Time at Simple Financial Lifestyle – B Simple has advice for simplifying your banking, debt repayments, insurance, retirement, and other areas of your financial life.
Do You Buy These Overpriced Items? at KNS Financial – Khaleef expands on a enlightening Yahoo Finance article about how we unnecessarily overpay for common items.
Diapers, Diapers, Diapers at In The Trenches – Carol conducts a detailed analysis on the pros and cons of disposable and reusable diapers. (I would have to adjust these numbers by the yuck factor of reusable diapers personally). She has a suggestion for that too though!
Entertainment Money News
Movies By The Numbers: Resident Evil‘s Afterlife Rules
My Guest Post
- Thanks to David (Money Ning) for publishing my motivational article: Seize Your Wealth Today
Carnivals I Participated in
- Carnival of Wealth at Personal Dividends (Economists Blame ME for the Slow Recovery)
- Carnival of Personal Finance at Danielle Liss (When Is Paying Down Your Mortgage a Bad Idea?)
- Yakezie Carnival at Engineer Your Finances (7 Surprising Facts About Millionaires)
- Carnival of Financial Planning at Watson Inc (multiple)
- Festival of Frugality at My Personal Finance Journal (My Big, Fat Trashy Home: The Fall of the McMansion)
Round ups that linked to posts from this site
- Wise Bread’s Best Money Tips (Editor’s Pick) – 5 Tips for Those Working at a Job They Hate
- Joe Plemon at Personal Finance By The Book – Photo Exhibit Round Up
- Kevin at Invest It Wisely – Weekly Reading
- Nicole at Penny Frugalistisa– Posts that Piqued My Interest
- Khaleef at KNS Financial – Emergency Fund Edition Round Up
- Ken at Spruce Up Your Finances – Link Bonanza
Copyright 2012, Roshawn Watson, Pharm.D., Ph.D. All Rights Reserved.